Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent


Most people love it. Some people don't like it. I've personally never done anything for it. But that changed this year.

I gave up soda. Because I've realized, I've come to depend on it a lot. I can't remember the last time I got water or iced tea at any cafeteria for lunch or dinner. I had become addicted to caffeine, and was depending on it, and didn't even know. It's only been one day and I'm getting headaches. This is so good for me.

This morning in Chapel (after I had decided to give up pop), they challenged us to try giving up something that doesn't just benefit us. Guilt trip..... sorta. I figured that pop would be way too easy. Of course I can sacrifice that. They asked what's getting in the way of our relationship with God. To be honest, It's thinking and worrying and still caring too much for my ex. And it is getting in the way with me and God. So I decided I'd try my best to give up worrying about her. And it's actually worked. Whenever the second comes that I start thinking about her, I just tell myself to stop. And surprisingly enough, it works. Now I'm not trying to forget about her completely, but I'm just not dwelling on the wrongs and how much hurt came from it. This is so good for me.

Finally, instead of giving up something, I decided to pick up something. The more I go to the prayer chapel outside my dorm, the more I love it. It's a wonderful place of solitude and silence. It's very settling and peaceful. So I decided to make a habit to go in there every day. But to be realistic, it only has to be at least 60 seconds. I did this because I know I can't spend 30 minutes in there every day, I could be in a hurry. But 60 seconds is just the right amount of time to get a prayer and some silence in. But I'll most likely want to stay for longer anyway.

Lent. Ash Wednesday. I've never really got into this season. But you can get so much out of it if you just let it.

1 comment:

Regan said...

I think what you're doing is great. And you're doing the right thing with going to pray as well. Part of what draws us closer to God while fasting (not just food, but giving up anything) is that we pray anytime we feel hunger or the desire to act upon urges which God has put in our hearts to give up. You become dependent on God to walk you through your moments of weakness and in the process learn more about Him and allow Him further into your life. I'll be praying for you as you partake in this journey over the next 40 days =]