Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Freedom


Wow. What a morning. It started off by falling while jumping out of my bed and getting a coffee to keep me awake for Health Ed... Fun Class? No. After I went back to my room. Shortly after my roommate comes back and gets in bed. I remembered last week when I went out to the track and listened to my favorite band (Owl City). It felt really good. So I decided to do it again. I brought my homework, sat on the bleachers, and listened To Jason Mraz's new CD (We sing. We dance. We steal things.). Let me tell you, this CD is DEFINITELY a feel good CD. It's hard to find feel good CD's, and especially make one... unless your Jack Johnson. I STRONGLY recommend this CD. It's incredible. If you like Jimmy Needham, GET THIS CD! Just do it. After I did my homework I put on my "Chill" playlist. It consists of Jack Johnson, Matisyahu, and Sufjan Stevens type of songs. I love looking at the mountains in front of me, along with the green grass, palm trees, and blue sky. I noticed that a Running class was out on the track. They looked miserable. Who wants to run for an entire class? Then I saw a dog running with them. But the dog was ecstatic! and he never stopped running. It was the happiest dog in the world. It only had a track, but it was running like it was free and had the entire world to run. When's the last time you wanted to run as fast as you can because you felt so free? When's the last time you wanted to roll down a grassy hill and get as many grass stains as you can? When's the last time you truly let go of all your problems? As I was thinking about all this, a song came on my playlist. Wash Away by Joe Purdy. Thank God for Joe Purdy, and ESPECIALLY that song. Talk about letting everything go. If you want to feel free and let everything go, listening to that song would be a great start. Everything "washed away". I felt so free and happy. I wanted to run as fast as I could. I wanted to jump into the clouds. Suddenly everything was so joyful and humorous... like noticing how everyone picked up their pace when they ran past Bryan Clay. Every little thing made me happy and I couldn't stop smiling and laughing. If someone was sitting near me they probably would have thought there was something wrong with me. When I finally came back to my room, I noticed how dark and colorless it was. I couldn't believe I had spent so many mornings in such a dark room. I wanted to share about my experience. But I couldn't do it in my room. So I grabbed my computer and went outside at a table to start typing. It's like I'm starting to get addicted to working outside in the sun. And I LOVE IT! I am going to try my hardest to make this a habit. No. An addiction. It's a very healthy addiction. Thank God for the sun and palm trees. For moments of peace and freedom. I haven't felt this good in so long.

2 comments:

matty p said...

Thanks for encouraging me to go outside my dude. Listening to music in shade but seeing the palm trees and sun....so soothing for the soul. I still got a lot on my mind and heart and plate...but this moment of "slowing" as our APU community is saying...it's amazing. I think I'm going to join you in the effort to work outside and experience His beauty. Nature...gotta love it!!

Julie Ann said...

scottie! i love this post. just reading it made me happy. and i'm so happy for you. keep writing bro. i love reading your stuff.