Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Oh College...


College. Freshmen Year. Craziness. No parents. No rules. Every teenager's dream right? Most post-high schoolers take this advantage to be a rebel. I'm proud to say I haven't fallen into temptation... At least not to drinking/drugs/girls/whatever most people fall into. For me, it's become a chance for me to open my eyes to possibilities. What's stopping me to do the things I want to do? Since our room is the most popular room on all of first and second east, I take my alone time in practice rooms so I can play piano and release my emotions. I've been thinking more about my future, especially next summer. I feel called towards many things. Unfortunately, I don't feel that Kanakuk is one of them. Kanakuk Colorado. I went every year from Diaper Deal to Super Deal. I've made outstanding relationships. Every one of my siblings went as well, and my two older siblings both worked there since they were able to. So I guess you could say people expect me to follow in their footsteps. I love following in family heirloom, but there's also a time to set yourself apart. This next summer I feel called toward something new, with new people and new places. Jamaica is a possibility. Malibu Young Life is another possibility, though if I want to do that, I better act quick. It just feels refreshing to break away from the same old. I first experienced this when I decided to go to APU. My older brother and sister both attended Point Loma. And I LOVE it, but when I visited APU, i thought to myself... 'Oh, more choices.' So that's where I'm headed next summer. Something new. As of being in California.... I already miss Colorado. Yes. California is a lot of fun, and sunnier year-round (which is good for my S.A.D.), but there's something about home, no matter where it is, that makes you feel right when you're there. I miss getting out of my tosaty red 4runner and feel the sudden chillness as i close the door. I miss seeing my breath as I unpack instruments out of my car to play a show that no one would come  to in downtown Denver. I really miss staying up all night in my bed and looking out the window at the very bright and silent sky that brought little white fluffy flakes of joy to the ground (Over-dramatization). Colorado. I look at my CO flag and Ski Resort poster every single day (both gifts from my amazing sister before heading out to Cali). I can't wait for Thanksgiving. I've found that the people I can relate to the best are people from Colorado, and APU has a reputation of getting a lot of students from CO. I've made so many friends at this incredible place, but my closest ones are those from CO. Overall, I'm so grateful for this opportunity. Thanks to an incredible Men's Chorale Director, I've realized how much I take for granted. I feel ashamed that I've taken so much for granted up to this point. I am incredibly fortunate to what God has given me. I want to help people that don't have as much as I do, becuase I know they can further show me what a fortunate life I have. 

That was pretty much a rambling of many things I still have to sort out in my life. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Well put Scotty. We can't wait to see ya in a couple of weeks!